Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Back to building....

So it's sorta quiet for me for the moment and I am building again...which is nice. There's something to be said about putting together something in your hands as opposed to on the computer, which is what I do the majority of the time.

I don't quite understand why I am building what I am building now, though - I built some micro mecha. Pictures will be coming soon, as I still haven't quite finished them.

The challenge of micro is always appealing to me - doing the most with the least number of parts engages my design sense.

It's also akin to origami - you have one piece of square paper to make anything. And if you are good enough, you can make a swan with all the feathers folded and legs and feet....but if you're really good, you can make a swan in less than ten folds. Origami is more capturing the essence of a subject, not making a blueprint.

Example:

Here are examples of angels:




The first angel is by MisaQa and the second is done by David Winkler. Both are great builders, but are very different in style.

MisaQa uses an origamic approach - only necessary detail is used, so there are no faces on her angels. Very simple and also playful to a certain extent, because of the pose and color choices she made.

David went the other direction almost entirely, with a large sculpture that has no color but intricate detail. The lack of color is compensated by the detail and is a beautiful sculpture in the classic sense. It's also an almost perfect rendition of a real subject.

Is one better than another? I wouldn't phrase the question that way - I see beauty in both. My style leans toward a 'designer/origamic' approach than an 'artistic/sculpture' approach, but there's a lot to admire in Davis sculpture.

The trick is to apply what I observe in both in my building. Micro or otherwise.

No comments: